Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bryce's Birthday at my Parents'

Tennille saved her money to buy Bryce the balloon (helium balloons are one of Tennille's earthly treasures) and one of his favorite cereals....I typically don't buy "sugar" cereals so they love to have junk on their birthday that is all their own.
The kids were waiting for dinner. When we eat in the extra room, there is not enough room around the table and the kids draw straws (on civil, peaceful days) or just "call it" (sometimes insanely) to sit at the "t.v. trays"...they think it is a great privilege.
My dad built an additional room onto their home to be his "hideaway" and he has it decorated with various farm antique stuff. Once everyone realized it is completely soundproof, it quickly became the kids' hangout room. There is a kitchenette that my mom puts in child-friendly snacks and their game system is set up on that t.v. It is also where the boardgames are played. My dad gets up so early that by the end of the evening, I think he wishes my children had "turn-off" switches, so the extra room is an awesome place for the kids to be.
Bryce could pick anything for his birthday dinner...including dinner out at Lambert's Throwed Rolls, a place our whole family loves...but he chose my father to cook for him. Ribs, grilled pork, fried potatoes, Caesar salad, and garlic bread.
My mom made his birthday cake, complete with Bryce's favorite Texas Longhorns.
Of course, his favorite gift was his new phone.
Bryce said he had a great day. At home, there are so many distractions that it was nice to see him in Missouri just doing "boy" things and not having to be here and there.

2 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I think I need to have your Dad over and have him make dinner.

Funny I think balloons are one of my girls earthly treasures as well. To be honest I'm pretty fond of them too :)

Michele said...

So glad he had a great time. I always picture Bryce as the least demanding teen I know! Happy belated birthday to him!