
Dave is out of town for ten days...I came home after substituting the kindergarten class from hell, thanks to the teacher's lack of direction and clarity...and I am not kidding about the day gone crazy...I think the most mild thing was one child who kept calling, no make that yelling, that his classmates were "CHICKEN BOOTY".....my sciatic nerve was having a party on my back and legs....so I laid down on the couch, popped the pumpkins in front of my kids and told them to have a good time.

Since Parker had carved one earlier in the week, he was the mentor...which of course he milked.

Once Bryce realized he would be cleaning out his own pumpkin...and not wanting to get his pretty hands knee deep in pumpkin guts, he opted to paint and not cut at all.

I also used that time to pull out the Halloween care package my parents sent us. Even though my parents live a state away, they work hard to remain a presence in my children's lives (and the lives of my sister's children, as well)....on holidays my mom sends little things like their favorite treats...this time it was lemonade packets to put in their bottled water, the kids' request of Ritz crackers, my mom's homemade hot chocolate mix and the kids' favored candies.....along with little notes. Just simple things but they make the day (and my children) feel special and thought of.

My parents definitely reap what they sow....here Riley is on the phone calling in her "thank you" but often the girls will come home from school and call my mom...just to chat and check in...and my dad often calls the boys on their cell phones to see what is going on and they also call him. I always felt close to my grandparents and am glad my children can have this same experience.
2 comments:
Your parents sound awesome!
I have just finished reading all the latest blogs. I have to admit my husband thinks I've lost my mind as I have tears streaming down my face from laughter!! As you started to talk about Riley's tryouts, I knew exactly what you were going to say about the people surrounding you and wish I could have been there to play along!! Please send me the recipe for the "cool looking" pink drinks as Ian called them and I'm going to wipe your head for posting the "halloween cookie" decorating night as Ian says, " Mom, how come we never get to do stuff like that!!" I had to explain, mommy's not as "domestic" as Kimmer!!
Post a Comment