Thursday, October 16, 2008

Riley's Audition

**Reading Advisory** This train of thought is probably not for the easily offended...or lovers of drama clubs.
So Riley comes home with an invitation from her chorus teacher to audition for a small singing part in the high school play. I'm thinking one more thing to do, let's just skip it, but she was set on trying out. They had to sing, "This Land is Your Land", a capella...she went without practicing at all so, of course, I pick the ride over to lecture her on preparedness....and then I am feeling mother's guilt because I am sure she is now not in the right psyche to give a good performance. (I try to make up for it by telling her she looks great on the way in, my status quo.) We go to the auditorium and she has to get up and sing in front of the other fifth graders who were invited to audition, their parents, the high school drama staff, and cast/crew who are wandering around doing whatever.
As I am sitting there, I realize some things never change. I am reminded of the phrase from my school days: band geeks and drama freaks. A little history here, if you've seen the movie, "Clueless," then you know my high school mindset...not that wealthy, but after that, the similarities are many. So, as Riley is auditioning, I look around and notice that I am surrounded by society's outcasts. That may sound harsh, but come on, I am guessing being trash canned is not a foreign concept to most of these teenagers. I remember some super freaks I worked with at Carle and then see some of their children in the drama club. Figures. Is it a rule that nerdy parents beget nerdy children? Is there a gene that says, "I am going to be king of the dorks and hopefully one day get into drama club"? And then there is this hierarchy of non-coolness because the lowest of the low end up being "techies", which I am understanding to be the crew. So, while I try to pass the time by giving imaginary make-overs to several, the geek radar is so high, I can't concentrate on much else.
As I am driving home....hoping that the element of nerdiness is not airborne contagious and feeling like I need a Silkwood shower....Riley tells me she cannot wait to go to high school....because, you guessed it, she wants to join the drama club. Why does the universe hate me?
I prepared Riley not to be chosen, we talked about our favorite reality show....The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, I think its on CMT, it follows the girls trying out for the squad (talk about quality t.v.!)....so I am like, "you know those girls are all beautiful and talented and they still don't get picked sometimes. so let's congratulate your bravery for trying out and have some ice cream." We were called later that night and told that Riley (and two others) were chosen, they end the play with their a capella song. So, this entire week, I have been exposed to the socially challenged as I wait for her rehearsals. And listen, I am not that shallow just going by looks alone, I have heard some of the conversations....too geeky to even repeat.
Bryce had freshman testing yesterday, I asked him who he was assigned to sit by (I always ask random questions to carry a conversation with my non-talking teen), he tells me her name...I say, "oh, I don't think I know her, is she one of your friends?" He answers, "no, she is basically a dork (I know, not nice, but at this point I don't care because he is at least talking)"...and I answer knowingly, "oh, is she in drama?"

5 comments:

Julie said...

Well if it makes you feel better- I remember that there a few cool kids who did drama. No-not me, but a few cool ones snuck in every once in a while, so she's not totally doomed.

Michele said...

If we would have had a drama club I am sure I would have been in it! But then, we all KNOW how cool I am! (chuckle chuckle) :) You crack me up girl. I needed a laugh tonight. I just found out recently that there is a portion of the world that thinks the marching band is full of geeks. I thought we were the coolest in the school.(and, I am just going to go on believing that too!) Also, my children don't have a choice, they will play an instrument through high school so they have every hope of being as cool as I was too! Maybe it isn't genetic, maybe it is just forced on those poor unfortunate souls by parents like me!

Kim said...

Michele, I am very tired, but you have also made me laugh...
You go on and own your love for the band! Rock on!

Anna McClure said...

Not every thespian is a geek. I have several fellow Mahomet drama friends/members who have gone on to be in Hollywood films, Broadway productions and multiple television series. Yes, the techies were a little on the geeky side, but the actual actors were pretty awesome - and we had a blast! Don't burst her bubble yet! :)

Elizabeth said...

I was actually such an outcast at school, I dropped out of drama after freshman year becasue it was starting to become the cool thing to do. I was living on the edge with my punk friends!