Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pregnancy Paraphenalia




Most of you know I have gestational diabetes and many have asked about my daily routine, I don't normally talk about it because I don't like that much attention for it, but here it goes...first of all, I have had this diagnosis with each pregnancy (actually, they missed Parker, which is why he weighed 9-14) and now the specialist I see in Springfield believes my initial tests show that I have diabetes all the time...however it cannot be confirmed until 8 weeks postpartum, so I will remain in denial until then. Unfortunately, another indicator would also be that I started insulin injections at 11 weeks, when the typical gestational diabetic begins around 24 weeks.
Anyway, the top picture shows the two insulins that I inject myself with. The pink caps cover the needles that I screw on. I do the kitchen timer one in the morning and evening....and the pen-like one at least three times a day...they are easy to dispense, I just turn the dials to the number I need and place it into my thigh or stomach.
The second picture is my tool for checking my blood sugar level. I prick my finger with the "pen-thing" at least four times a day and record those numbers that show on the screen and then call them into Springfield.
At first, I was seeing doctors every week...now I have been upgraded to every two weeks...in three weeks, I will be back to every week. I have been told I will most likely have a cesarean section this time, due to Tennille's difficult delivery. I do lots of lab work and have sonos at least once a month.
The last picture is my motivation. This was taken yesterday...I don't know if you can make it out but it is mostly a face picture with his hand covering his eye. (Love those 4-D photos!)

4 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I love the sono pic! We had 4D will Isabelle, what a treat :) Sorry about the diabetes, hopefully everything will resolve its self after the baby is born.

Michele said...

Kim, even inutero that baby looks like a Bode. Just look back and forth between his photo and the one of Tennille there. Yup, looks just like a Bode! Those sonograms are amazing!
It's surprizing how fast all the diabetic supplies just become a part of your life.

Elizabeth said...

Springfield? Do you go there for all your appts? Let me know if you need help with kids.

Kim said...

Elizabeth, you are so nice. My doctor here in Champaign works with the specialist in Springfield, so I have only had to go a couple times....the rest I just do via the phone. I call in my blood sugars once or twice a week and they tell my doctors what medical tests to order.
Thank you for your offer to help. You will love when you get to the stage that I have...when you have grown your own babysitters!