Monday, September 29, 2008

Friday's Wagon Train

Parker taking a few moments with the horse before the trek begins.

(The above picture is Bryce getting the horse ready to go.)
During the fourth week of September, many people from around the country come to my parent's town for a re-creation of a wagon trek. They bring their covered wagons and horses or mules and cover long treks each day and then gather at night for dinners and conversations. For most of the time, they camp at my dad's friend's cattle ranch (1/4 mile from my parents' home) and then end up at my dad's friend's dairy farm. The week culminates with a town parade and festival on Saturday. I think we've gone for the past four years and my kids love it. With my dad's friends being so involved (and my dad being the head cook preparing breakfast and dinner for everyone), my children get to participate. On Friday, both boys went on the wagon trek (and as is traditionally done, the girls stayed home to do shopping and lunch with Grammy).
I can easily see my boys as if they might have been, had they been pioneers. First of all, the older men love Bryce because he loves the whole experience....his passion is farm stuff, he takes it seriously and the older people enjoy passing down experiences and advice. On the other hand, Parker enjoys the adventure. There is a grandson of one of the "higher-ups" who is Parker's age and they both get in trouble along the trail, throwing rocks too close to the livestock, jumping on and off wagons, etc...
Parker starting out in the back of a wagon, that's him in the ball cap.
This year, and part of last year's, Bryce was allowed to drive his own team! Again, he loves it!
Since I am not interested in riding along, I have not met everyone...but I think this man's name is Orville and he is always kind to Bryce and lets him drive his horses.
This is Parker leading the mule (?, actually I don't know, it could be a horse) to be hitched up.

2 comments:

Karen said...

What else is one too do while on a wagon ride except jump on and off! I am sure that Parker was just keepin his cardio up!

Lisa R said...

Wow way fun! Found you through Shelly's blog! And yep you are right that is DEFINITELY a mule! The ears are a dead giveaway!!