Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Cost Of Measuring Up...


As I may have stated in my last blog, I didn't win many of the things I tried for at the blessed Relief Society service auction....you may recall one of those things being a set of handmade barrettes with flowers on them....add salt to my wound when Riley came home from school on Friday telling me about these cute barrettes that some of the girls from church were wearing..."oh yes", I told her, "I know all about those cute barrettes. In fact, I tried to win them but the sweet baracudas we call church members stole them right away from me".... (Hopefully, I just said that last part in my mind only.)
So, Dave was out of town all weekend and I decided how hard can it be to make a couple flower barrettes myself? Surely I do not need a tutor on making a simple hair accessory.... I headed off to Michael's with a vision in my mind of easiness and daughter bonding time. (And no, I did not ask the maker of the barrettes for any hints/suggestions, it is not rocket science after all.)
First, no barrettes but these huge things that my daughter's hair would not hold properly. Disappointed, I end up with combs. Second, the flowery things I made up in my mind were also missing in action. I settle for some candle holder with sunflowers that I can cut off. Now it was time for the glue. I had the glue gun in my basket for awhile....but thought why bother with heat and mess when the fabulous Crazy Glue was looking right at me reminding me how quick and lovely it is. Sold!
I get everything on the table, place my flowers where I want them and start gluing. I quickly learned that Crazy Glue sticks to everything it shouldn't and rarely where it should. It wouldn't hold to the plastic combs until I held it in place for eternity. Tennille asked if she could help and I said absolutely not, she could not be around the Crazy Glue...this was starting to remind me of the kids' school projects where I forget that the intention is for the kids to do them. (Yes, I am that mother.)
It took me about 10 minutes to realize that I could no longer feel seven of my fingertips. The Crazy Glue had totally bonded to my skin! Hopefully, all of my educational criminal background checks are done because I chemically altered most of my fingerprints and who knows when they will grow back. (By the way, do you know how hard it is to remove your contacts when your fingertips are completely numb becasue they are covered in permanent glue?)
Morals of the story: 1) no, we cannot do something just because someone else can.
2) at the next auction, make deals under the table to get what you feel you deserve
3) and back to my original life philosophy...it is not how you feel, but how you look that counts. While the FBI may want to know why I do not have any fingerprints on seven of my fingers, my girls do have autumn inspired accessories for their up-dos....and now I have one more thing to add when inducing guilt to my children. Next year should be a good Mother's Day! :)

5 comments:

Michele said...

You crack me up girl.... Oh, and rocket science is not all that it is cracked up to be. I'd like to see most rocket scientists take on motherhood and a craft at the same time. You did great and now you can take up that life of crime you have been pining for...you wont leave any fingerprints behind anyway. ;)

Unknown said...

Seriously Kim, You need to write books. Too dang funny!!!!!!!!1

Heather S said...

Those seemingly simple craft projects always get me! The combs do look lovely though. Glad you were able to win dinner from those auction sharks...it is an intense crowd.

Karen said...

Tell me that you will not be placing those flower clips in the girls hair! Yikes!

Andrea said...

I noticed those hair clips in your girls' hair at church- they were cute. Good job! Your blog is a hoot!