Yes, Young Mothers, you must read...but the conversation is not for the faint of heart....
Let me first preface by saying conversations with me are pretty much an open door for my children...with the exception of my non-talking teen and in his case I have to pull teeth to get information, which I do....the others tell me anything from school stuff, to what friends they like or don't, to questions of any nature....I am pretty much like a textbook and comfortable...I think the key is pretending like the conversation is not shocking you when inside you are screaming, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" By the way, this is simply not something my husband can do. He blushes, he mumbles, he looks the other way avoiding all eye contact and never does answer the question...which is why they come to me.
So, young mothers, be prepared...I'll give you some examples from last year when both boys were in jr. high...we had the "oral sex" talk... of course it was brought up at the most opportune time. All of our family was in the car when Parker asked what was a blow job because a friend had been suspended for having one in one of the gyms. Bryce didn't ask but looked up in interest. (Try to imagine Dave's face at this point.) So, with the girls in the very back seat and the speakers loud back there and muted in the front...we discussed. By the end, I also had to throw in my spin on girls who offer their services in that field...and ended with would they want to kiss any girl who put those body parts of other boys in their mouths? At this point, I think Dave was about to faint.
We have also had the lesson on douches...as in "what is a douchebag because they call people that at school?" Again, go with the flow, speak clearly and act as if you are explaining how one would tie their shoe.
This morning, it was just me and Parker when he said he does not like a particular P.E. coach...I don't like him either and since Parker no longer has him, I somewhat validated his feelings...and then Parker adds, "yeah, everyone calls him Uni-Ball."
Me: "huh?" In my head, I am thinking, "surely he did not mean where my brain is going...he is much too calm and comfortable in this conversation with me....he must mean Uni-Brow and I am hearing things."
Parker: They call Mr. _____ Uni-Ball.
Me: Why would they do that? (Again, surely thinking it must be that he is possessive of his basketballs?)
Parker: Because he only has one ball, everyone at school knows this.
Me: Parker, I am sure this is not true.
Parker: Yes, it is...apparently he was climbing a flag pole, slid down and one of his balls went right into his body and stayed there. (Again, I apologize to the faint of heart, but I am just giving some preparedness to the young mothers out there.)
Me: Parker, that would not happen....besides the testes make fertility possible, he most likely would not have children and we both know he does.
Parker: yeah, that's why he only has girls...because the ball that produces boys is gone.
( I must add this is said with extreme sensibility and matter-of-factly.)
Me: no longer able to let the ridiculousness continue...PARKER! ALL JR. HIGH KIDS ARE COMPLETELY LAME AND RETARDED!! (Yes, I know...highly offensive, politically incorrect wording) THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE AND IS SO ABSURD I CANNOT DISCUSS IT.
Parker: Mom, everyone knows it's true, in fact there are pictures illustrating it all over the bleachers. Gotta go, I am late...will you wash my soccer shirt today?
( I am trying to think of how stupid I was in jr. high...but I certainly could not have been that stupid...)
9 comments:
I was laughing my butt off through this whole post-Realizing this is coming my way soon. AAAGH!
One of my friends here told me that middle school girls were making passes at eachother last year because it was cool to be gay!
When this happens I am going to remain cool and collected like you, I hope....
I am cracking up...will refer to bleachers for my future education!
I am laughing so hard that I'm crying! Good luck :)
Thanks so much for the laugh! But yikes! I'm just going to have my kids call you when they have a question.
I am right there with you Kim. Only, I think my kids are in a school with less worldly kids or something. My oldest had never heard a couple of the terms you mentioned. At least the one he had heard he has been smart enough to not use. My biggest issue has been going to games or other activities and seeing these 12-14 year old 'couples' hanging all over each other. I point them out to my boys and tell them how innapropriate it is. They look at me like I have gone insane, they would 'NEVER' be like that with a girl. I tell them to keep telling me that until they are getting married! OHHH the stress. ;D
Way to keep your cool.
I read this out loud to James and after we finished crying (from laughing so hard of course), I made sure he knew not to say anything to your boys. Although I do think it would be kind of funny if James said at YM on Wednesday "Hey, I once knew this guy and we called him uni-ball because he only had on ball..."
And after James & Monica finished crying, they called me and made me laugh, too. I'm with you on being all open and honest and upfront with my kids, though I haven't reached those exact discussions just yet.
What an awesome story.
I hope you don't mind I'm linking it to my blog post for tomorrow (Monday).
That was so funny!
Everyone thinks I'm crazy that I can't wait for my kid(s) to be teenagers! They are so funny/stupid!
Thanks for the laughs.
OMGoodness... I honestly almost just woke up my house laughing SO hard. Wow, wow, the joys to look forward to explaining ( I have a 3 year old girl and a 9 month old boy )
~ (random blog roller) C
Post a Comment