Thursday, March 4, 2010

Again...Parker

You may have noticed that we need to keep Parker busy....because a 'still' Parker does not exist....so if he is not constructively doing something, he is absolutely doing something...it is just not typically good. I knew it was a bad idea to have him sit out this spring sport season, my boys always play a sport year-round but this year Parker decided that track was probably not for him. I questioned him but he assured me he was making the right choice....he had studying he could do....and he could play with Tate.....(I must be getting old and tired to fall for this.)
It probably took two weeks for Parker to decide he was going stir crazy having after school free time....he spent one afternoon with a neighborhood friend last week and has now decided his lifelong passion is to play LaCrosse. In case you haven't noticed, I am not a sports-mom....I have said it before... I show up to sit, talk, read a magazine and drink a drink...but I really thought they could not throw another sport on me that I haven't had any experience with.....wrong....I didn't even know there was United States LaCrosse!! I thought it was like, some English thing....
He found a Champaign league...and a meeting for me to attend....and then says, "Mom, bring your checkbook." Bring my checkbook is right. LaCrosse, apparently, is as expensive as hockey, they just play on the grass.
The meeting is a whole other story.....apparently, most of the world does not have small children when they also have teenage children. They weren't even dirty looks necessarily, just looks of astonishment...you know, the quiet "I am just going to keep looking at her and counting all those children she has with her"...I wanted to yell, "YES! THEY ARE ALL MINE! FROM THE SAME MARRIAGE!! AND I HAVE ONE MORE AT HOME!!" Whatever. I did find one friend who took pity on me, sat by me, and filled me in with LaCrosse details. Also, the coach did let me know that Parker will fit in so great (I am thinking, of course he will, he is fresh meat......apparently, LaCrosse is extremely physical)...so while the coach is telling me he is glad to have Parker, he also let me know that it would be a really long meeting and he was sure I would not want to stay....what with my young children and all.....he could arrange a ride. How thoughtful....whatever.
Actually, it sounded good to me, I found a Mahomet friend, arranged the ride myself and took the others to McDonalds. Mom wins again....even if my checking account and free-time loses.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

We had lacrosse in high school, it is expensive, I almost played (yes we had girls lacrosse). It'll be interesting to see how this goes...