Saturday, October 3, 2009

Food From My Childhood...

Growing up in California, my parents' best friends were Mexicans from 'the old school'....I was exposed to the fabulous Mexican culture and authentically delicious food. Tamale making is a huge "everyone-involved" production that is saved for special events, typically made in December and served on Christmas Eve. For the wagon train weekend, my parents' friends came to visit and we were fortunate enough to talk them into making tamales.
My parents cooked the pork the day before and then set up a production line in their garage. Lily made the bucket of masa....which you spread on soaked corn husks.... very specifically....which is why I moved to putting-on-the-pork station....then they are folded over....very specifically....and then steamed for an hour.
Pano is from a family of fifteen children, he had fun stories to share...and is a tamale expert, which is why I had to move on from masa spreading.
My dad also trying to show me exactly how it should be done. Eventually, I moved on completely and fed the baby.....if I can't be the winner, I really don't want to play.
Serious production line....I don't remember how many dozens we made. They freeze awesomely, so after everyone took some home, we still have some to share at Thanksgiving.
Tamales are being steamed in that big pot, while my dad stirs the homemade refried beans.
Dinner is ready!
So good....fun memory lane...
My dad loves to serve everyone up.
This is the part where Lisa should stop reading.
When we were growing up, Lily lived in our neighborhood. I think she made tortillas every single day....I knew the time and would stop by to watch her...knowing nothing would be better than a fresh tortilla off the griddle with some butter on top. A few years ago, Lily had a hand injury and has not made tortillas since. My sister and her family had to leave early to go home. My parents made Bryce a birthday brunch and Lily came out of retirement and made fresh tortillas!!! Sorry Lisa! Eat your heart out! If it helps, we thought of you while eating them!

Riley following in my footsteps and sneaking the warm tortillas....
I love this picture....I can't begin to guess how many tortillas those hands have made in their lifetime.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

You have sent me down memory lane as well. Whenever Uncle Larry and Aunt Cecelia go to Lily and Pano's they always have a tamale making day that Maggie and I are invited to.

I'm craving tamales and homemade mexican rice right now.

Teresa

Shelly said...

Donna did homemade tamales a few years ago at Enrichment. My mouth is watering.

Can you teach tortillas? I've tried to make them a few times, very unsuccessfully.