Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My First Week in First Grade

Exciting news, people!
Today, I had my first student with head lice. The nurse came and did a search....then reported that one girl would not be returning. I felt bad for her and sent her home with a new box of crayons and a worksheet....the best I could do on short notice. By the way...in case you are wondering....and I know you are....she is always very lovily (I think I just made that word up) groomed and her hair is cut in a short, sassy, cute style...to be honest, I tend to stereotype that sort of disease and was surprised it was her. I thought about making everyone put on hairnets the rest of the afternoon, but decided to pull up the big girl panties and deal.
(However, I did leave the custodian a request to 'spray down' her locker and all of my class beanbag chairs. The principal assured me they do not live on 'un-alive' things for more than 24 hours.)

7 comments:

Lori said...

that didn't take very long.....it was nice of you to send her a little gift.

Shelly said...

Um, but it's less than 24 hours from the time you leave the classroom until you arrive again...

Congrats on starting!!

Your classroom looks great, I love the alphabet rug. I want to hear about Show and Tell.

Cameo said...

I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were enjoying first grade . I will be sure to check my seminary class for lice. : ) Glad you first week was a success.

Holly said...

Lice love clean hair. I came home from school with it on a weekly basis when we lived on Guam. My mom had a cupboard full of lice shampoo.

amanda said...

I am so excited you have your first classroom! I am sure you are awesome and I can't wait to check out the classroom website. I remember the lice infested kid days. I would itch for days afterward when someone in my class would have it. One girl had it over the course of the whole school year. She would get checked every other day. Her parents did the mayonaise treatment and then they just left her in the office. They couldn't leave their jobs. I have 10 more days til my kids start school so we are enjoying the pool til then.

Clint & Karen said...

Oh my...I guess swine flu is next?! Sounds like you are doing great, otherwise. I finally realized I *could* get into your private blog. Thanks for adding me!

Carin said...

You're amazing! I had no idea you were going to be teaching this year. Good luck, you'll do a great job!