I love my Sunbeam class...I taught all of these children in their nursery class and then thought my turn in primary was done when Tate was born...I am guessing the presidency knew the only way to get me to stay was to hang that particular class over my head...for them only will I fork over my newborn for two hours. I'll be happy to follow this class until they turn 12 and are no longer in primary.The above picture is Emma, who cried at the beginning when her mom went to leave, but agreed to stay after I promised I would take her out if she felt like leaving. (With three year olds, it is all about the deal making.) And how cute is that smile?!
Some reasons why I honestly prefer my Sunbeam class to any of the adult classes:
- Snack time (you might notice the Little Debbie's in the corner, also Zack has come to expect that I will have marshmallows in my bag.)
- Dramatic play (how fun is it to re-enact rather than just sit and listen?!)
- Honesty!!! (real quotes: ME:"Did you all love my story I brought just for you?" One child responded, "No. I hated it." Now, how many times have we actually thought that in an adult class but didn't say it?......ME:"We are all so important and have such important things to do. What are you going to be when you grow up?" One girl immediately said, "Not a mother." A boy looked up at me and questioned, "Why did you wear that?" Again, how many times have we wanted to say the same thing?...)
- Acceptance (those little children genuinely accept you...especially if you spend the time with hair and makeup...let's be honest...what young child is not enthralled with drag-queen-like appearances...in the words of Dolly Parton in Steel Magnolias, "It takes some effort to look like this!"...add some perfume to the mix and you are in! One little girl looked up at me and said, "Wow! You got some eye lashes."...and then helped with the lesson.
- No Political Correctness! With adult classes, I get tired of the tip-toeing around...I am just not good at it...really, I don't want to be good at it...and with my sunbeams I don't have to. One day, I told one of the kids, "Come here, you are a mess." I smoothed her hair and straightened her dress....and all was good. Now, if I would do that in an adult class I think we all know I would be getting a call from the relief society president to tell me some damage control would be due.
10 comments:
I love that you get to be with Kelli still. I know that she loves it too!
If she says anything shocking I can't be held responsible. We are perfect in our home....she must get it from school, friends, or even church!
Heather,
I'll buy into your theory....Joe Tandy and his class sit awfully close to our row...I'll bet she gets it from them :)
I'm a little concerned about the honesty thing. Eliza likes to talk and I think she sees and hears way too much at our house. I'm just glad it's still you whose hearing it. It's less people who know all our family secrets.
Anything inappropriate Emma says she gets from Jeff.
We use "you get to see Sister Bode" to get Emma to church most Sundays-and it works. (nice picture)
You've scored once again. Honesty with a tinge or two of sarcasm/humor or whatever. I am laughing. I needed a laugh too. Love the comment about Joes class. :D
I came to leave a comment about Zach saying something embarrassing and it looks like I'm not the only parent with that concern. Just know that he lies! Chris inherited a Japanese sword from his grandpa this week and Zach said that he was going to tell everyone that his dad got a new gun to put on his dresser. So don't trust the things that he says! And I'm sorry if he's rude or too honest.
I don't think any of my Sunbeams are rude! Very honest, and I appreciate that...if they question my wardrobe, then I go home and rethink it :)
Also, I'll pass on what our elementary principal always says, "I'll only believe 50% of what they say happens at home, if you only believe 50% of what they say happens in class!"
I love that principal, so wise. I will admit that whatever comes out of Ellie's mouth is my fault. However, I CANNOT be held responsible for her overall appearance. Avery helps dress her and she simply will not let me do her hair.
I wish I could be in your sunbeam class- I am so tired of all my classes. Adam's primary teacher asked if anyone had any questions the other day and he said
"Yes, church is too long, it's boring and I hate it?" His teacher told him it wasn't a question- I thought you are right it is just a statement of fact.
Keep up the good work!
Sunbeams are the best. Elijah loves you. I would be shocked to hear that he talked about anything besides transformers, ice cream, underwear and the fact that he is a boy, so I feel pretty safe.
Post a Comment