Okay, so I participated in a cookie exchange yesterday....I am not going to get into how many hours I spent Sunday night making 12 dozen cookies....I thought I could probably put some plates together for my neighbors with a variety of cookies, instead of the lone loaf of bread they usually get.
I brought the cookies home and planned to set up a goodie plate factory....only Tennille started early in the game sneaking the wedding cookies...you know, the ones with the powdered sugar...I caught her munching away, she said...with a mouthful...."these things are delicious"....and as mean mom as I could get, I said, "you know there are nuts in there"....Tennille said, "no, there are not"...I said, "yes there are...the lady just chopped them up super small so you wouldn't notice....but they are definitely in there" (thinking that would keep her out of them permanently)...she just said, "well, they are still delicious" as she grabbed another.
I had just given the girls the 'hands off' lecture when the boys came in from wrestling practice, headed straight for the truffle plate and yelled, "Oreo balls, my favorite!" Huh? Apparently, the home ec dept makes and sells something similar at school...so there went my truffle plate.
By this point, I had become the cookie warden standing guard over them so I did not have one more runaway and started making plates. I was making my plates look pretty when I started asking, "wait a minute....where are the peanut butter chocolate chip?....look in the car...maybe I left them out there.....they are on a plate covered with foil..." The kids said, "that plate? I saw Dad take those a long time ago when he went into the kitchen...." To Dave's defense, he claimed those are, like, the only ones he can eat (maybe you don't know how picky my husband is) and those should not be going on the gift plates.
I gave up and only three of my neighbors were given treats...while what is left of the 108 cookies are in Bode tummies or dark hiding places.
And then to top it off, I sent the kids to give a plate and the neighbor accepts the plate and then says she has diabetes and won't be able to eat any of it....but thank you....but she keeps the goodies.
And of course you know what I am thinking..... "GIVE THOSE COOKIES BACK!!!!!!"
6 comments:
I haven't even started baking yet and everyone is getting a goodie plate. I just ordered the christmas cards today for heavens sake!!
With all the work that cookies take, I keep them all for myself. Brent goes through them so fast I can hardly get them out of the oven and into the tupperware before they are gone. Sorry neighbors.
Jealous! I would love to do one- and I heard those wedding cakes were YUMMY-already trying to get the recipe.
I have some fudge over here if you want to round out another plate or two ;)
No joke. Now you know which neighbor not to bring treats to!
At least you will know for next time, no cookies for the diabetic neighbor :) Maybe a loaf of bread...
Kim...hey I checked the Bode Bulletin and I think I am in love with you as a teacher! What a great and fun thing to do...I would check it all the time.
Did you have the same sugar dispenser?
Post a Comment